Sunday, September 7, 2008

A Year Has Come and Gone

Last night I went out with a bunch of my girlfriends, old and new, and had a tasty dinner and a good time. The dinner was especially neat because the six of us who went to the beach exactly a year ago this weekend together were all there. Labor Day marked a year since I moved here and began this journey and new segment of life. When I packed my Dad's Honda up and drove the 400+ miles to get here, I had no idea what on Earth I was getting into! Here's a quick recap of what has happened in the last 12 months of my life...

-When I first moved here, for 2 weeks I lived in the dorms at SEBTS. I was not so excited to move into the dorms, even temporarily, but my apartment wasn't ready. It turned out to be a great blessing, because the first nights there, I was able to become friends with a girl named Kristi, who invited me to spend my first weekend in NC at her parents' beach house with 4 other girls. That trip enabled me to meet some great girls, some of who I know will be in my life for a long time!- Two weeks later, I moved into my first home of my own, a darling little apartment that I share with my turtles and dog.
-I was able to completely furnish and decorate it for right around $1,000. Thus, my love of bargain-hunting was fueled and grew.- I started my first "big girl job" at Southeastern Seminary and began seeing my name published in magazines and on the web....that's a cool feeling.
- I have endured a saga of car-crap, and hope that it's over. Right before moving here, my car (Pearl) began showing signs of severe sickness, so I left it at home to get fixed and drove Dad's Honda over here. It broke down on me within a couple of weeks, then I found out mine was going to cost a pretty penny to repair, then I hit a deer with my Dad's car...I finally gave him his wheels back, and traded my old SUV in for an XTerra. It then showed signs of sickness, and then I hit a truck with it, causing $5,000 worth of damage to my own car. It had a few other issues after that, but I think/hope we're on the upswing now!- Within a couple of weeks of starting my job, I felt clearly God calling me to the mission field. It was something I had thought about before, but decided "I'd rather just do short-term trips", instead of committing to live overseas. I figured it would be easier, and I could still play by my own rules. God got ahold of my heart though, and now, I've "said the eternal yes." I'll go overseas when I finish school.
- Just a couple of weeks ago, I started classes to work on my Master of Arts in Intercultural Studies. It is kicking my butt right now, but I'm hoping to get used to it and graduate with my Master's within a couple of years.
- I met a couple of "interesting" guys, went on a few dates and decided I was quite content being single until God showed me otherwise.
- God showed me otherwise by putting an amazing man in my life, who I love and am now honored to call my boyfriend.- I finally made it out of the "VL" club :)
- I tried to find my dog a new home - unsuccessfully - for a couple of months and decided to keep him.- I went through a crazy spell of wanting to get 2 dogs, but decided since I was planning on going overseas in a couple of years, that wouldn't be a good idea.
- I bought a kayak.
- I watched my alma mater, Union, get hit and wrecked by a F-4 tornado.
- I returned to Union to try and help with clean-up efforts. While there, I got to see some old friends and watch my Zetas win Variety Show for another year.
- I got hit with the news last Sunday that my Dad has some serious medical issues he is dealing with (see posts below). Prayer is appreciated and needed.
- I have fallen deeper in love with the Lord, and I have been learning to rejoice in Him and his gift of salvation, no matter what circumstances I find myself in.

So there you go: A year of firsts! First job, first apartment, first boyfriend, first kiss, first "big" purchases of my car and kayak, first time dealing with serious health issues within my family....A lot has gone on, and I know the Lord is good and He is sovereign. To those of you who are a part of my life here in NC, I thank you for what you have done and how you have helped shape me over the past 12 months. For those of you who have been with me for longer than that, thanks for continuing to be in my life. I praise God for each of you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lauren, I thoroughly enjoyed this entry. Mainly because of the picture of us at the beach last year. We all look so young. I dont think I even look like that any more...maybe I do. This is such an interesting season in our lives. I as well have enjoyed looking over this last year and just being amazed at what the Lord's done.

Stefanie said...

What a great entry! Sounds like God has brought you through a lot and has blessed you a lot. What an awesome thing to remember and reflect on. :)

BTW... I know this is a little late, but I wanted to thank you for your comment. I look forward to getting to know you!

Blessed Among Women said...

I saw your blog on a friends and had to come! I have a heart for the nations too! Sounds like God has done a lot in your life lately,it's amazing! God Bless you!