Thursday, December 20, 2007

Bless back and pay it forward....

Bless back. Pay it forward. These two phrases are becoming increasingly common, it seems. Is the concept and the practice becoming more common as well?

A few years ago, Helen Hunt was in a movie called Pay it Forward. Though I didn't see all of it, it was about giving to other people in need, and continuing the tradition of passing on blessings, etc.

Recently I heard about a project a church in Charlotte, Elevation Church, did called the Bless Back Project. Everyone at Elevation Church on a certain Sunday was given some money, I think either $5, $10, $20, $100 or even $1000. They were instructed to use it to bless someone else. The stories were then told of how individuals and families used the money they were given, often combined with their own money, to bless someone else. Some of the stories were really cool, and you can read about them here.

This morning, I was reading AOL News (which, the people who comment on those stories are a riot, btw) and I was reading other stories of people who were given money or other necessities and how it impacted them. These aren't necessarily motivated by the same reasons, but some are interesting too, nonetheless.

Anyways, all this to say that I feel incredibly blessed especially this holiday season, and these stories have inspired me to think up some creative ways to share my blessings with others. It's a challenge for sure, because though I'm not broke, giving up money isn't an easy decision. It's just human nature I think to hoard that which we have, even though we are commanded to give. The Lord even says to "test him in this," allowing him to prove his goodness and blessings. This Christmas season, I am challenged to accept that challenge and to give, not so that I may receive more, but because Christ has already given me everything beyond what I deserve.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it." Malachi 3:10.

No comments: