Friday, December 28, 2007

Busy-bee me!

For "vacation," I sure seem to stay busy. It never ceases to amaze me!

This week at home has flown by, which is both good and bad. I wish I had a little more time here with my family, as the visit is going really well, but at the same time, I am kind of ready to be back in my apartment and move ahead with other things I am looking forward to.

At our annual Christmas Eve dinner with family friends, the Georges, my pal Rachel said something that has stuck with me. She just studied abroad in Costa Rica (that tiny little country that captured me years ago) for three months, and was making some observations to me , a week after she returned. Costa Rica, beautiful La Fortuna and Volcan Arenal.

Rachel said she appreciated the fact that life in Costa Rica is unhurried, which is an understatement, but that more than that, that they live moment to moment, not always thinking ahead to the next thing on their "to-do" list, but rather, enjoying each moment and activity to the fullest.

I thought that was a good rule to try and live by, and Biblical too. So, I have been trying to enjoy my time at home to the fullest, and I think I have appreciated what I have - both in Maryville and in Wake Forest - that much more because of it.

It has been wonderful to spend time with my parents and my brother, and see some of my best friends. I was able to spend the afternoon hiking with one yesterday (4.5 miles! Woo) and shopping for her wedding dress with the other today. Tomorrow the whole high school crew will show up here for a wedding shower I am throwing for another of my friends who is getting married in February. My, we do grow up so quickly. The picture was taken the night before senior year of high school started....The 8 out to dinner.

I have to say, were you to ask me right after high school graduation what my life would look like 5 years down the road, where I would be living, what I would be doing, and which of my friends would be getting married, I know my answers would have been radically different than the way things are shaping up now.

I saw an old crush the other day. It made me think of the Garth Brooks' song that goes, Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers. As a friend pointed out, there are no unanswered prayers: God always answers them, sometimes he just answers them 'no.' After seeing this guy, all I can say is, 'Praise God for telling me no.'

There are so many things I have asked the Lord for over the years that his answer has been 'no', apparently, or at least a 'not now.' Job situations, friendships, relationships, Denver, attitude adjustments, etc. I am so thankful for the way the Lord works things out in my life, despite what I ask for, in "all my humanly wisdom." His wisdom is so much greater. Thank you, Lord, for working things out for the good, despite me and my planning.

No comments: